Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Morning Paper

November 7, 2009: Well, I started sniffling yesterday, then I woke up this morning with a runny nose and sore sinuses so I should stay home, get lots of rest, and drink plenty of fluids, as opposed to the outdoor chores I had planned. This sounds like a great time to catch up on my blogging. Lucky you. One of my favorite things to do first thing in the morning is read the paper and drink coffee and I always get amused by the headlines so here goes, the headlines with my spin. FROM SECTION A: Of course, the main headline is the tragedy in Ft Hood. As a retired Lt Col, this story is particularly hard for me to grasp. The news outlets have already condemned the shooter and assuming everything is as they report, it will be hard to defend him. CNN described him as born to Palestinians parents. (The media continues to perpetrate the myth that there are actually Palestinians, when in fact, they are Arabs who made a claim to Palestine, but there hasn’t been a Palestine, hence no Palestinians. That’s how rumors get started, and if you repeat a lie enough times, it becomes reality.) Anyhow, an Arab officer with a checkered service record on a shooting rampage is hard to accept as anything other than a terrorist. His victims were soldiers engaged in the war on terrorism, was he an enemy combatant, a wolf in sheep’s clothing? Another personal note on this is the hero, Officer Kimberly Munley. She is a civilian federal law enforcement officer assigned to police duties on Ft Hood. That could have been my daughter, Clarissa, who is part of the same police force, but assigned to Ft Bliss. I am proud of my baby girl and I pray she is never in that situation. But, it’s time to go onto other news. A fourth teen is charged in the beating death of a 16 year-old boy in Chicago in a situation that is being repeated with too great a frequency in Chicago. Hey, wait a minute, I thought Chicago’s problems got fixed when community organizer extraordinaire, POTUS Obama cut his teeth there. I pray that he will fare better as President than he did as a community organizer cause it seems all the news coming out of Chicago is bad. Hell, Chicago can’t even get the Olympics when power houses like Michal Jordan, Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama are rooting for it. The house is to vote on health care overhaul today and Obama went to capitol hill to close the deal. I don’t know about the rest of you, but my own analysis of the proposed bill finds that it will not save any money. My taxes will not go down, my co pay and deductible payments will not go down, my insurance premiums will not go down. On the contrary, at a cost of $80 billion a year for the next ten years, my taxes will go up. Democrats say that part of the cost of the new health system will paid by fixing Medicaid and Medicare. Can’t government just clean them up regardless of the outcome of the pending reform bill? The USDA is considering settling claims with American Indian farmers. Let’s see if I got this correctly, American invaders stole land from native peoples, sent them to reservations, and just NOW they are CONSIDERING settling claims with them. How white of the USDA. I like this story, it’s really a non story, non news; why was it printed. The story says that someone in the White House told someone in the White House not to appear on the FOX network news shows. What a bunch of crap. What I have found is that there is usually an element of fact behind news stories, but please, don’t me the story without SOME of the facts. Viejas chismosas! FROM THE BUSINESS SECTION: Unemployment tops 10% for the first time since 1983 and consumer borrowing drops, no shit Sherlock. AIG made a profit for two consecutive quarters, wait a cotton picking minute, AIG is owned by us, as represented by the government. Why doesn’t the story say Americans made a profit? Well, because AIG gave IT’s profit to IT’s work force, so there! In your face carbon! King Midas, AKA Warren Buffet triples his profit to $3.2 billion in the midst of the Great Recession. Go back to my Mad as Hell blog where I told you that we are witnessing the greatest transfer of wealth in the history of mankind. Let me explain, Freddie Mac is a quasi government agency that was bailed out BEFORE the hastily drafted TARP legislation was signed. It lost another $6.3 billion last quarter. How can that be so? A quasi government agency loses so much money all the while AIG and Buffet make so much…follow the money. Remember Ross Perot’s famous sucking sound; it’s back, but this time it’s big government and big business sucking our money out of our wallets, back accounts, and retirement accounts. Now for my soap box… We have allowed our government to invest in ideas and systems and institutions rather than invest in people. Our country is literally crumbling. Roads, sewer systems, rail roads, storm water protection, etc., all around the country are in seriously dilapidated condition. Rather that invest in rebuilding our country, our government has invested in GM, AIG, and so forth. How many people did GM or AIG put to work? None! On the contrary, companies showing a profit are ones that lay off workers to save money and the government simply extends unemployment benefits. We need to put people to work rebuilding levees, roads, storm water systems, water and sewer systems, rail roads, the power grid, “greenifying” public and commercial facilities under government mandate. Put people to work, put money in their pockets, let them get health insurance, let them spend their money and let them decide which business they buy goods and services from, and that will decide what businesses survive. If GM wants to survive they need to make a better automobile. I have owned Ford, Chrysler and GM products and I hate to say it but the Nissan performance and reliability all around is much better. So, my advice to hard working Americans is to save money, do not borrow, do not use credit cards, strictly cash and carry. Your money soundly invested in your neighborhood credit union gives them money to lend IN YOUR COMMUNITY. It’s safe until you need to make that big purchase or send you kids to college. Screw VISA and screw Bank of America, lest they screw me. OK ladies, get ready to call me sexist… What if, just what if, during the Great Recession, moms decided to stay home and take care of the hearth. Home cooked meals. Less gasoline. Less dry cleaning. Healthier, happier kids. Dads decided to do their own chores and repairs. No plumbers. No gardeners. No happy hour. What if we saw a return to the nuclear family, would that be good or bad? Less money but less expenses and more family time and Sunday worship. I have heard that three characteristics of stable families are: 1) two parents, 2) meals together, and 3) worship together. What if we did more of that? In support of the war effort during WWII, women entered the workforce in great numbers. When service men returned, women continued to work, hence the women’s right movement. Is there any cause and effect relationship between women working and the degradation of the family unit? In today’s capitalist, commercialized society, families “need” two incomes to keep up with the Joneses, but at what cost to our greater social structure? The business section of the newspaper has grave implications for the future of the American Society. IN OUR LOCAL NEWS The appeals court ruled Melina Castro cannot recover the fees she paid the city. It would seem to me that after she left City Council in disgrace that she would quietly slip out of memory. But noooo, the desgraciada is still disgracing herself. Honey, just go away! What about Ms. Quintana? She wants a pre trial diversion program. Aren’t pretrial programs, by definition, alternatives for guilty people who are simply trying to skirt a guilty verdict? Again, the appeals court ruled that Quintana’s case is being handled appropriately. It doesn’t say that her preference for a pre trial diversion program is synonymous to a guilty plea. Enough already, resign and join Melina, have a beer to drown your misery and slip out of memory. Finally, a word on an editorial column – “Mideast Peace Survives.” Oh really, has peace broken out in the middle east and I’ve not been told. The middle east has been in turmoil since the birth of man. Many track the state of war to Abraham’s two sons, Isaac and Ishmael. Isaac being born to Abraham and his wife Sara, and Ishmael being Abraham’s first born with Sara’s servant, an Arab woman. Jews, descendants of Isaac and Arabs, descendants of Ishmael, continue to be mortal enemies and I don’t believe that Americans can bring about peace. It is rather arrogant of any American politician to declare that he will bring peace to the middle east. The absence of combat between Jordan and Israel does not peace make. For 20 years I have been saying that middle easterners are consenting adults and if they want to kill each other, then who are we to meddle? Only they can bring about peace and it is clear that the impasse will survive for another year. Yes, I enjoy the paper and my coffee. Electronic news papers just aren’t the same and I can’t take my desktop into the potty. So I read the paper and capture the news, but always with my own analysis. America, rest today! Tomorrow I will tell you what to think about today’s news. Well, its several hours since I started writing this blog and steadily I have felt worse. My nose keeps dripping, my eyes are watering. I’m sneezing. But I keep on downing those fluids.

No comments: